Friday, August 5, 2011

Sal Malaki, Filipino Tenor

Sal


Sal with his Cebuano fans 

Fans of Sal with  Prof. Pizaro and daughter Ria and Sal


Sal Malaki,
Filipino tenor
of the Los Angeles Opera,
performed in Cebu last week.


One of the cool things
about living in Cebu,
is that we have many opportunities
to see different kinds of cultural presentations.


A few weeks before,
the Redemptorist fathers
were plugging the show.


I am not familiar with opera music,
as I equate it with
Josh Groban and other pop/classical singers.


But then,
when I heard that Sal Malaki
was coming to Cebu,
I had to go.
My nephew met him
and watched him perform with the LA Opera,
and was so inspired by his singing.



So, my entire platoon went
to witness Sal's performance.
Wow!!!
He not only has such a great voice...
He is also a superb and  a very playful performer...



Sure, he can sing
Italian operas...
But, I just love how he teaches us
about our local traditions,
through our funny folk songs...


What I like the most about him,
is how he proudly sings Filipino folk songs,
in different dialects....
Filipino, Waray, Pampangeño, Bicol, Cebuano...


One of the funny folk songs...
Nag-adto ako sa sapa (by the brook)...
nagrosaryo ang mga paka... (frogs praying the rosary)...


Ha ha ha..
Pastilan Mang Gid!!!


Daghang Salamat Sal!
For reminding us that we can be proud of our Filipino Culture...

No comments:

Post a Comment