Monday, October 4, 2010

Making Cogon Grass Roofing



When we visited Kan-irag Nature Park, in Busay, Cebu, we were able to witness a demonstration of how to make a sustainable and organic roofing material. This was the traditional roofing material of the Filipinos, before tin roof came into fashion. There are many traditional construction practices that we need to rediscover because our ancestors knew sustainability was an essential part of green building. In fact, the first green building in the Philippines that does not need LEED certification is the Nipa Hut. We were way ahead of the western countries in recognizing the idea of living in harmony with nature.

2 comments:

  1. rare najud makita ang in ani nga pamaagi maayo nalang kay duna pa diay sa cebu philippines

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. website

    ReplyDelete