Thursday, October 21, 2010

Food Matters and Lifesyle Diaseases

I am currently recuperating at home from the effect/s of a  lifestyle disease/s. And yes in my entire life,  i had my first taste of  hospitalization and prolonged contact with the health and medical care system in the Philippines. I have always steered clear of doctors and hospitals. The smell of ethyl alchohol and chlorine has always conjured aversive images in my mind, remnants of my limited 70's idea of a hospital from visits to my sick and ailing grandparents. To my surprise, I was brought to a very modern, clean and efficient hospital where the doctors and nurses where kind and respectful. I was given some medications and in a few days, I felt better and requested a discharge.

Was I healed? Of course, NOT. I took all the diagnostic tests and the results showed that I had a lifestyle diasease. I was given some pills that I might have to take for life.

What, Pills for life!?!  What, I will not even take a pill for a headache!!!  This can't be, so I vowed to be an informed consumer of medical care. I searched for information.....

First of all, what are lifestyle diseases?

These are preventable diseases that can be lowered by changes in diet, lifestyle and environment.  It is developed over many years of inappropriate food intake, sedentary lifestyle and inappropriate response to high stress environments. The medical solution is widely accepted- thanks to the pharmaceutical companies, we have a pill for every disease. But, is this the solution to a global pandemic????

To provide temporary relief, perhaps yes... But to provide a more humane, dignified, empowering and sustainable cure, A DEFINITE NO!!!

As, I searched for local solutions, I went to my  doctor who is one of the few in Cebu who practice BIO-INTEGRATIVE HEALTH, and I came across this documentary- FOOD MATTERS.

I just learned that it is possible to have a cheap, doable and sustainable solution to my health problems. So, this adventure in sustainability will include my journey towards  personal health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment