Friday, February 4, 2011

Public Laundry Communal Space, Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

Public Areas- means a space allocated for community use.
Communal Space- area to be shared with others for the common good.

I have seen public parks, public markets, public toilets. This was a first for me...
A public laundry communal space... I stayed in Quetzaltenango for a  Spanish Language Training Homestay Program and was amazed at the Guatemalans sense of commons....
Commons means belonging equally or shared by a number of people...

In Guatemala, every village, town or city has a public laundry communal space. They have a sense that water is a common and is to be protected and shared. It is also a great place for the women to socialize and bond while doing their chores. So in effect, it is really a laundry place and a community center all in one place. And since it is mostly the women who do the household chore of washing, the place in effect becomes a women's center also. Maybe, they should station the local public health workers there also...

Everyday, I passed by the laundry area coz it was right next to my host family's house
I would  observe the locals do their laundry... in ice freezing water...
I was content with observing and never had a chance to wash my clothes,
I was content wearing my dirty clothes,
coz the weather was cold,
the water was cold,
did not want to catch a cold...

No comments:

Post a Comment